The Bahamas is a scenic paradise that attracts tourists from around the world. It is an archipelago of 700 islands with a strategic position to the entire Central American region, the Gulf of Mexico, and the Caribbean Sea. The culture and society of The Bahamas are a distinct blend of European and African heritages. People are friendly and hospitable. Since the islands lack natural resources, the residents heavily rely on tourism and foreign investments. The Bahamas is famous for its arts, folklore and Goombay. Other cultural aspects are painting, sculpture, photography, and crafts. One of the biggest attractions is the climate, with an average temperature ranging between low 70s°F during winter and 80s°F during summer. In 2019, 7.25 million tourists visited the Bahamas.
- Nassau has the world’s third-largest wine cellar, making it a must for wine lovers.
- The Bahamas is a popular destination for scuba divers and snorkelers since it has the third-largest barrier reef in the world.
- You get to try sport fishing and bone fishing supervised by certified professionals.
- Junkanoo Festival is one of the Caribbean’s most celebrated carnivals. You can attend the celebration the day after Christmas, also known as Boxing Day.
- James Bond movie, Casino Royale, was shot in Nassau, Bahamas.
- The Glass Window Bridge, one of nature’s true wonders, is one of the few places on earth where you can compare the rich blue waters of the Atlantic Ocean and the Bight of Eleuthera, which is separated by 30 feet wide rock strip.
- The world-famous Ocean Hole in Eleuthera is a large marine sinkhole with a depth of 101-110ft.
Every year tourists who visit The Bahamas cannot stop raving about the food. Bahamian cuisines are a mix of Caribbean spicy seafood and southern American style. The national dish is rice, peas, macaroni and cheese, fresh conch salad, cracked conch, potato salad, steamed fish, steamy lobster, and fried chicken. Some of the must-try foods are baked crab, rock lobster, cracked conch, and Bahamian stew fish. Guava duff, a boiled mixture of fruit and dough served with a butter sauce, is a popular dessert.